Walsall’s Grand Old Railway Station

May 11, 2017 in Features, Railways, Walsall by Stuart Williams

By Stuart Williams

Senior Archives/Conservation Assistant

South Staffordshire Railway Station building, Station Street, Walsall, taken by Mr John Whiston about 1965.

South Staffordshire Railway Station building, Station Street, Walsall, taken by Mr John Whiston about 1965.

Back in the ‘good old days’, Walsall was adorned by a grand railway station, the heart of the town’s transport system.  The first railway line through Walsall –  the Grand Junction Railway between Birmingham and Warrington – had opened in 1837, with a station at Bescot Bridge.  In 1847 the South Staffordshire Railway opened a temporary station in Bridgeman Place, linking with the Grand Junction line.  The Wichnor Junction line to Dudley opened in 1849, connecting with the Walsall section.  A magnificent new station building, designed by Queen Mary’s Grammar School ‘Old Boy’ Edward Adams, was built for the South Staffordshire Railway in Station Street. Read the rest of this entry →